Custom Search

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Humor need not be at the expense of others

I saw a racist video when I surfed Youtube against a Filipina maid since that was in the news last time. Rep. Risa Hontiveros asked BBC to issue a public apology for presenting a racist and humiliating depiction of a Filipina domestic worker but I heard BBC relucted saying it'd be interference in their freedom of speech. I just thought you don't have to be vocal about your rights that you forget your manners. This isn't the first time I heard something against Pinoy workers but the one I'm referring to insulted not only Filipinos working abroad but their families and fellowmen as well. I wonder what do these people know about what Pinoy overseas workers have to go through just to be able to get decent jobs. I wonder if they know what it's like leaving families back home for survival means yet they're not been given the kind of respect they deserve. If Pinoy domestic helpers and caregivers do not do their jobs, they should've considered the consequences to their homes and even to sick and old relatives.


Now whose job is more important?

No comments: